If you live in a small space, then you know how important it is to use every last bit of space that you possible can. One of the best ways that you can do this is through the use of Murphy wall beds and similar closet systems. Here are a few facts that you need to know before you decide to invest in one of the many exciting Murphy bed designs.
1. The Murphy Bed was invented around 1900 and has been a great way to make the most of a small apartment or bedroom for more the past 100 years.
2. Contemporary murphy beds are traditionally hinged vertically against the wall, or inside of a closet or cabinet. This frees up lots of floor space during the day since the bed can be folded up when it is not in use. This can also be great for a child’s room, particularly when they are used in conjunction with closet systems to provide maximum play space.
3. Though most Murphy beds flip up vertically into a wall or closet, there have also been Murphy wall beds which are horizontal-oriented beds that flip up from the side. There are even bunk beds made using this design.
4. A spear closet is a closet that has been constructed using leftover space in a home that is of irregular shape and size. One of the great uses for spaces like this is custom closets systems that are used the same way as a Murphy bed.
5. A late 20th century and early 21st century variation of the murphy bed is the modular, or custom built clothes closet. These were most often used to make room for storage space for items like hats, shoes, and coats.
6. Though this will more than likely not be available as an option if you are moving into a dorm room, those moving into a tiny apartment should look into purchasing a Murphy bed. Murphy beds are beds which are hinged vertically against the wall or inside of a closet or cabinet so that you can take better advantage of the small amount of space that you have. More can be found here: www.morespaceplace.com