Divorce is a very common legal action in the U.S., especially in recent years when divorces have been more easily accessible. Before the 1970s, divorces were only granted when one spouse alleged that the other was guilty of a crime or sin like abandonment and adultery. Some couples who were simply no longer able to get along were able to negotiate uncontested divorces, but these were much harder for couples to access. Today, many jurisdictions have no-fault divorce options which require no proof of either party’s fault. Another option for some couples is a voidable marriage which can be cancelled at the option of one of the parties.
Divorce rates vary throughout the world, mainly because of the wide range of marital laws. For example, in Senegal, men are allowed to marry at 20 and women at only 16. Divorce rates are lower in Senegal, as are the freedoms allowed to young women. Another factor effecting divorce rates is remarriage. Though many people who remarry after a divorce have successful marriages, the divorce rate for remarried people is higher than for those who are on their first marriages.
The upshot of the popularity of divorce in the U.S. is the large number of available divorce attorneys. Many Americans choose to work with divorce lawyers to settle their dissolution of marriage with some seeking specifics like a divorce attorney for men only or a divorce attorney for women only. Regardless of your personal criteria, sorting through divorce lawyers in Arizona to find a good divorce attorney is not necessarily simple. Here, we’ll look at the process of choosing a good divorce attorney.
- Consider whether you really need to find a divorce attorney. Ninety percent of divorces in the U.S. are settled out of court, using a mediator. If your divorce is relatively amicable, you may not really need to pursue the process.
- Give yourself some time. Agree with your spouse not to take any steps affecting either of your financial situations without giving the other person notice and reasonable time to respond. This will allow you to take your time looking for a divorce attorney for women and will give you some peace of mind during the process.
- Familiarize yourself with Arizona divorce laws online. This will make your search process and your divorce much simpler.
- Decide what type of attorney you want. Each divorce attorney is different. Do you want an aggressive attorney who will fight to get all the things on your list or one who will simply file paperwork and manage the process?
- Get recommendations. Call the state bar association and talk to friends and family. You’ll want to choose a divorce attorney who comes highly recommended.
- Conduct interviews. You should talk with at least three attorneys before making a decision.
Pursuing a divorce can be very scary, but a good divorce attorney can make the process so much simpler. Be sure to ask plenty of questions and consider seriously. A divorce might be hard, but it doesn’t have to be complicated.